Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Siblings Sharing Some Memories.

 
 
Siblings: And My Early Memories.
I was two and a half when my sister was born and being the first-born I can remember wondering what was happening and where did my mum go with that big tummy of hers. All very special they said, and a new little sister was now part of the family.
At the time my paternal Grandmother lived in Paddington an inner suburb of Sydney in one of those double storied terraced town houses, that are now so expensive and fashionablebly out of reach to many.
 
I can remember the iron fence with the pointy spears on top, out in the small front yard and the staircase inside of the dark house, going up to the rooms above.
Not much more than that can I remember however considering my mere two plus years at the time I am doing well with this recall.
I stayed with Grandma, when Dad was working and I can also remember going to visit Mum and little sister Susan in hospital. In particular I remember walking down a street close to the hospital and looking in shop windows as I walked or should I say toddled my way along the footpath. Dad stopped at one stage and held me up to show me the little teddy glass jar, filled with jellybeans in the lolly shop window. I know that I was so excited as we walked into the shop and Dad purchased the teddy filled with jellybeans for me and I do remember holding his hand with the jar securely held in my spare little hand.
As you would expect I got to eat some of my Jellybeans and I admired that little glass bear from afar as it sat on top of the dressing table.
Very soon my Mother and Sister came home. I was thrilled and recall being so excited that I would go into the bedroom and look at my little sister sleeping sweetly in her crib. It is then whilst alone with my baby sister that my excitement and my urge to share over came me.
Sighting the jellybeans in the teddy jar and seeing my little sister lying in her crib awake, I climbed up and reached for the jar. As I advanced towards the jar the thought of a lid on the top of the glass teddy bear, was not going to stop me sharing these beans with my little sister.
I love the black aniseed flavour so you guessed it into her tiny mouth went one black jelly bean and there lay one cute little baby sucking away with black syrup, engulfing her whole little mouth and chin.
I was so proud to have shared my gift with my new little sister and remember running to the kitchen and declaring to my mother "The baby loves my jelly beans too mummy."
At this stage any mum would panic or become very agitated and inquisitive as to what I meant. Well sure enough my mum panicked and as she ran to the bedroom I was perplexed, so I followed her up the passage to the bedroom where baby slept.
It was to mothers horror because just as I had said, baby loves the black jelly beans too, and there she lie in her crib, black, sticky jelly bean juice all around her tiny mouth and on the bed sheet as well. My new baby sister was happily sucking away on her first black jelly bean. Of course mum used her hooked finger manoeuvre to disengage the foreign object and even though baby was fine and I was proud of my sharing episode, Mum! Was not amused.
Oh well I learnt that day that there is food and there is FOOD!!!
I spent many happy days with my little sister and will recall some more little sister and brothers events in another post.
Can you also remember an early incident in your life involving you and your family? I wonder how far back you can go? If so please share the story here in comments section or write a post of your own and let me know when you have posted it.

Milli

Ps. As you can see the jar is now empty after all these years LOL.
Not really I just could not find a full one in my google search. Thanks google.

No comments:

Post a Comment