Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love. Why Not Indeed.

My Review of the Movie

Eat Pray Love

" I used to have this appetite for life"

Elizabeth Gilbert.

Let me clarify some thing straight off the bat.

I have never read Liz Gilbert's Book and although I know a few who have read Eat, Pray, Love it escaped my limited reading time making my review here a review of the movie only.

For some reason and apart from the media hype, this movie attracted me even before it was released, so I knew that I would venture to a cinema to see it, before it came out on DVD, which is often my preferred choice for movie watching. Having said that I did attend the cinema to see Slumdog Millionaire and loved every bit of that amazing movie too.

As for Slumdog Millionaire I especially enjoyed the effect the big screen had in it's favour for this movie and for its viewers, because when the loud music vibrated around us all, whilst watching the big screen in the cinema, the movie parading before our eyes, utilising amazing colours, magnificent dancing and rhythm, combined with excellent acting, the drama presented itself effervescently, drawing my companions and myself mercilessly into this,  sometimes poignant, happy, sad and all time great movie. 

I diverged from my review of Eat Pray Love and I am sorry, however both these films had a similar effect on me, one of total absorption as the cinematographic camera rolled along exposing me to the spell binding beauty of four quite different continents and their unique collection of peoples with their unique languages and gestures, keeping me enthralled all the way through.

Julia Roberts was heaven sent for this movie as she maneuvered her way around Bali, New York, then Italy, India and back again to Bali. I would not be surprised if she learnt as much from her role portraying Liz Gilbert, as she would, had she also taken this life sojourn her self. Julia a savvy actress who plays to perfection her role, as this thirty something, new age woman, who seeks the raison d'etre for her life purpose thus far.

I had heard conflicting reports about the movie, such as, it moved too slowly in the beginning. Which incidentally I did not find this to be true for me personally. Also, that our leading lady was apt to be a little self obsessed and to use the word of a friend, narcissistic. I might have thought this too from the book had I read it but for me the film did not portray Liz as narcissistic. More so I felt it portrayed her as a woman who was seeking her life path and had the intestinal fortitude to walk this personal path of her own accord.

How often have many of us dreamed the dream but not had the required determination and desire to deposit ourselves onto that path of the unknown, leaving the universe to guide us to our destiny. Of course we all have our own personal agendas and Liz's as it works through the movie is to Eat as she has not allowed herself to eat in such a long time and what better place to achieve this feat than the home of good food and feasting but, Italy. Then there is the striving for the inner peace and harmony of self which she found in an ashram in India. Bali is the place she goes to in the beginning and at the end of the movie and this is the place where her life and her perceptions are challenged to the hilt and where unexpectedly she finds the love and balance that she was seeking all along.

As I said this movie might not be for all and some might even say that it is a  'chick flick' but before you place the movie into a niche, check it out because it actually has so much to offer in many areas.

Stars out of 10 I will give it 9*********

It seems I will be going back to the movies again soon. I was lucky enough to have a phone call when I reached home informing me that the little raffle ticket I was given with my ticket has won for me another day out with a movie ticket, a free lunch and a bottle of champagne. Now what next to see? lol

This will be my dilemma.

Cheers Milli. 10

 

  Liz Gilbert Site here.

   

Elizabeth Gilbert Quote...


"There is so much about my fate that I cannot control, but other things do fall under the jurisdiction. I can decide how I spend my time, whom I interact with, whom I share my body and life and money and energy with. I can select what I can read and eat and study. I can choose how I'm going to regard unfortunate circumstances in my life-whether I will see them as curses or opportunities. I can choose my words and the tone of voice in which I speak to others. And most of all, I can choose my thoughts."



17 comments:

  1. It came out super big... but yes that movie looks very good, I will have to go buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it Janelle I think you will really enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eat pray love ..sounds good to me ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Milli ............I have wanted to see this movie since I saw the trailer the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes you will love it Rita. Let me know how you found it please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very interesting Milli, I will rent it when it comes out..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read excerpts fromt he book online and it is on my nest to read list. Looking forward to seeing the movie, as well. Love the way the writer boldly pursued what she wanted in life. Seems to me a life consisting of eating and praying and loving would be a life well-lived, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't dismiss a movie just because someone decides arbitrarily to label it a 'chick-flick'. However, of the reviews posted by contacts who have seen it, yours is the only one that gave it a positive review. That said, I do like to make my own mind up, so I will probably give it a look on it's DVD release (cinema here requires a round trip of approx 70 miles).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm currently on the book. Will watch the movie once the book is done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This movie looks very interesting. I will rent it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be very surprised if you did not enjoy the film Mia. Of course this is Liz Guilbert's personal story and is most pertinent to her life however we all write our own scripts and follow them just like you are doing in New Zealand far away from your native Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed Jo. I would say this is her sabbatical time in life and these were the special words for her life at this time. In the movie she is asked to describe in one word what she seeks. I will let you read the book to seee what word she chooses. Ah' I love the language of Italy too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mitch I would never assume that you would judge a book by it's cover and you do best to decide for yourself just as I have done.
    As an interesting aside here, of the few men and women I heard speaking about this movie after seeing it, it was a man who actually spoke the most highly of the movie.
    There certainly have been detractors of this film and if I had listened to the negatives, I probably would not have bothered too much with this movie until it arrived on DVD.
    However as I have said in my review, I found it compelling, positive and above all entertaining, with a most watchable cast and fabulous scenery as well, to keep me sitting for a few hours.
    I do not blame you for waiting for it on DVD, as your journey to a Cinema is such a long one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will await your review Kae with baited breath especially your review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amalie I will enjoy hearing about your experience with this movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. am convinced milli....it looks like a superb movie....will watch it asap as i get it.....
    i am a dvd person myself....i like watching my movies alone...

    ReplyDelete
  17. DVD big screen it does not matter Sonny just let us know your thoughts about the movie when you get to see it.

    ReplyDelete